Friday, September 2, 2016

Reasons 2B Cheerful - The September Effect

We slothed our way through the hot summer. We hated the heat but enjoyed the late mornings and slow pace. And suddenly it was September 1st and everything changes overnight.

1. It really does seem to get magically cooler. Obviously this is psychological but so many people I know also feel it.


2. We went out for lunch in the city centre on Wednesday. Downtown Jerusalem is very pleasant these days with the Light Rail trams making it cleaner and quieter to sit at the pavement cafes. The sad thing is that unless you work there, there is absolutely no reason to go there - other than to travel through on the trams. The theatres, cinemas, museums, and all other sources of entertainment have long moved to other locations. All that's left is offices, shopping and eating. We, and most people, hardly ever bother to go there. But on Wednesday we did and we had fun in the flea markets and enjoyed the street decorations.


3. We've had two school nights so far and I've managed to stick to the new school night rule of getting into bed at 8pm for stories and then lights out. On the first night DD lay awake until 10.30, poor thing, but after one day of school she fell asleep at 9.30 the second night. We're getting there. I only hope I can be strong over the weekend.


4. The school I taught at last year finally had to give me some answers about teaching this year because September 1st waits for no man - even Kibbutz men who make up their own rules as they go along. (I affectionately call it Kibbutz Organized Chaos - with less emphasis on the organized part.) I got the hours I wanted/needed. Of course I still don't have my timetable so I've no idea when those hours will be, but one can't have everything.


5. We are safely and comfortably gerscheduled in a way that makes us go to bed and get up at set times, do our work, do our chores because they are written on the diary, and be productive once again. About the summer holiday, as they say in Hebrew - haya tov vetov shehaya (it was good, and good that it was).

I'm linking up with R2BC back with Mummy from the Heart for September. 

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love that old saying. This post makes for a good read. That'll be us in a couple of days. He goes back on 5th September xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. It's quite exciting starting a new year thought, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I agree its a great saying! I haven't yet got kids into proper bedtimes but at least trying to be more reasonable... saying that I've been reading at midnight and up at 6!!

    Good luck with the new teaching and hope that things continue to cool down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I 've got DD mre of less sorted now I have to be strict with myself about bedtime.

      Delete
  3. Totally with you on your first reason and hot flushes don't help! Love hearing about different places and how they work. Love a flea market myself. And well done on the routines - I am rubbish at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad that you have few reasons to go into the city centre - I've never heard of all these entertainment outlets being moved - especially museums.

    Hope the weekend in going well in every way xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad and very bad for the businesses in the centre. The museums are in bigger plots of land out of the centre where they can hove outdoor exhibits and larger buildings. The theatres and cinemas are in large complexes with multiple stages and screens but not in the centre. The problem is that the centre is built up with 100yr old buildings which don't suit modern entertainment venues. There's just no room to build them there at the same cost as building from scratch a bit further out.
      Also, we live in an older suburb with loads of cafes and street life so it's easier to do coffee locally and more fun to bump see people you know in the street. The centre used to be like this but then the suburbs and the population grew and the centre became more anonymous.

      Delete
  5. Downtown Jerusalem does loo very pretty and I always forget just how hot you have it out there, not sure I'd survive. I'm really glad you got your work hours. Have a fun Sunday and be strong with the bedtime. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking for just spending August in the UK next year - we hated the heat. Yes I was happy about the hours and bedtime has gone out the window.

      Delete
  6. Jerusalem does indeed look so pretty, it's a pity that the entertainment and other family-friendly venues are located elsewhere. In Ireland, ironically, September 1st/Back to school means we finally get our summer!! We've been sweltered here for most of the past 2 weeks... and that definitely does not help with the hot flushes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, did I mention the hot flushes... don't get me started.

      Delete