Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Snow Day (sNo Pictures)

All week they've been talking about snow in Jerusalem and specifically on Thursday. All schools are closed when it snows even when the snow is 2mm thick and melts by 0830 hrs.

Wednesday 0000: It's freezing outside. I go to bed praying there won't be snow until Friday. I have a ton of grading to do and I need a whole day to do it.

Thursday 0530: DD woke up complaining of a tummy ache and promptly threw up all over the bed. My bed.

Thursday 0535-0630: Clean DD up, put her into her own (clean) bed, change the sheets on my bed, put on a wash, get back into bed. Still no sign of snow.

Thursday 0630-0700: Lie awake convincing myself that she's not ill but rather that she ate too much junk yesterday. Therefore there is no reason why she cannot go to kindergarten.

Thursday 0700: Still no sign of snow and I fall asleep.

Thursday 0800: I wake up and realize that DD is still sound asleep. I decide to let her sleep and keep her at home today. I get up to make the relevant phone-calls and see heavy snow falling outside my window. Get straight back into bed and go back to sleep.

Thursday 0930: DD wakes up, she still has a tummy ache and is sick again - this time in a bucket not in the bed. Lucky she's not at K. I'm sorry she's sick but it does cross my mind that we have the perfect excuse not to go out today.

Thursday 0945: Take out the washing, put in another load. Realize that we will need the heating on today (first time this winter), pull two heaters out of storage and plug them in. DD looks out the window and exclaims: Oh Mummy, it looks like Christmas!

Thursday 1000: I have coffee with oat milk, cheese and tomato on toast, and a banana for breakfast. DD has dry rice crackers and water. (Not everyone gets the Christmas they dreamed of.)

Thursday 1030: People are already posting pictures of their kids playing in the snow and building snowmen. I am now officially a SMOSK (smug mother of sick kid) as well as a SMOG (smug mother of girls).

Thursday 1030-1800: I spend the day discussing the weather on facebook, playing computer games with DD, watching videos and eating. At some point after it gets dark I light a couple of candles as the lights are flickering and others (on fb) have had intermittent power cuts throughout the day.

Thursday 1800: They announce no school in Jerusalem tomorrow. Hooray! They record the worst snow storm ever in Jerusalem in December. They announce that Israel has had 25% of our annual average precipitation this week alone - and it ain't over yet. Jerusalem is officially cut off from the outside world - all routes in and out are closed until 0600 on Friday. News report here (with pictures).

Thursday 1830 approximately: Have a huge and terribly mature revelation. I don't need to defend not going out to play in the snow. I love the snow to look at but I hate the cold wetness of being out in it. We will not be leaving the house for the duration. We're Jewish, we don't play out in the snow, we stay in and drink hot soup.

Thursday 2000: Put DD to bed. Read her three stories and come out to start my grading.

Thursday 2005: Realize that there's no way I'm doing any grading tonight. Mess around on the computer for another couple of hours.

Thursday 2200: Write this blog post. Go to bed promising to grade all day tomorrow. Oh, and to make the hot soup of course.

2 comments:

  1. You don't have to defend going out to play in the snow, but I think you meant to say English, not Jewish. Jews in other parts of the world play in the snow (although my kids have been enthusiastic only up to the age of 7 or 8). We're getting some on Saturday and I'm not looking forward to the mandatory shoveling.

    I didn't get to commenting on your birthday post, but it looked like a very happy occasion. Happy belated BD to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. English and Jewish -A wimp on both accounts. :)

    ReplyDelete