Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Dirty Little Secret

I wasn't sure whether to write about this or not. I learned about it last year whilst taking my then 2 1/2yo swimming. This year, remembering last year's amazing experience, I couldn't wait to get back in the water and try it again.

On the other hand, I don't usually write details about personal grooming. It's personal you see. But on the other hand there have to be some perks from taking your toddler swimming and spending hours in the baby pool while she splashes around. And Gemma at HelloItsGemma wrote about her feet and it was decidedly more fishy than mine.

While it's a little bit gross if you think about it in too much detail  - don't think about it, just concentrate on the filter system - I feel I owe it to my fellow mothers to share. But please, keep it quiet as it's my dirty little secret.

This is it: most baby pools have rough tiles on the bottom to stop the toddlers slipping in the water. I found that I could rub the heels and soles of my feet on the rough tiles and get the best pumice treatment ever. Given that last year I spent up to an hour just sitting and watching DD play (this year less time as she already prefers 'swimming' in the big pool) I ended up with the smoothest feet I've had since I was young enough to play in the baby pool myself.

And then, when all the dead skin has gone from the heels and soles, you can rub your hands over the rest of your soaked feet (and even up to and including your knees) for soft, smooth feet and legs to be proud of. And they look good.

Obviously you can pay a lot of money for beauty treatments in your local spa for the same effect. But I didn't. So there it is, my dirty little secret. However, all the world's beautiful women lie about what they do to make themselves beautiful - don't they?

P.S. I actually wrote about this last year but deleted it as I was too shy to publish it. You've come a long way baby!

6 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT!
    Too tip. Am sure lots of children do far worse in the pool. I rarely go swimming and the pool we use doesn't have these rough tiles. Damn.
    Well done you on multi-tasking.
    Am
    Glad you've come so far - looking foward to more revalations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time there's a multitasking meme I'll link up - LOL. As for more revelations, I'll try to think of another one for next year's summer special. ;)

      Delete
  2. Multi-tasking! I worked for a swimming pool company many moons ago, did you know that they use pumice stones to clean the bottom of swimming pools sometimes? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting fact that I didn't know. It must be to get off all the dead skin from multitasking Mummies and other babysitters.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant - now that's inspired - you don't have to pay a small fortune to smooth the skin on your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather proud of this discovery actually :).

      Delete